Rev. Dr. John Witherspoon
Joseph Alexis Bailly, 1876 (unconfirmed)
* Statue of John Witherspoon
* standing person, scroll
A lineal descendant of John Knox
Born in Scotland February 5 1722
Ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church 1745
President of the College of New Jersey 1788-1794
The only clergyman in the Continental Congress
A signer of the Declaration of Independence
Died at Princeton, New Jersey November 15, 1794
For my own part of property I have some of reputation. More, that reputation is staked, that property is pledged, on the issue of this contest. And although these grey hairs must soon descend into sepulchre I would infinitely rather that they descend thither by the hand of the executioner than desert at this crisis the sacred cause of my country.
"Proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all its inhabitants thereof" -Levit. XX 10
* North side of the East end loop of the Horticulture Center. N. Horticulture Drive. East of Belmont.
* 39.984050,-75.208900 [map]
* On the West Park tour.
* Exhibits: New, Religious
* See also:
+wikipedia.org's Joseph Alexis Bailly page
1895 - 1897
* References to and representations of Albert Barnes, Charles Hodge, Jesus, Saint John, Saint Luke, Saint Mark, Saint Matthew and John Witherspoon
* small lion, birds, ox, plants, books, winged person, groups of people, standing people, reclining people, heads and eyes, fire, scales, headgear, anchor, cup, furniture, various religious symbols
* A group of figures from the building are now in the courtyard of the Presbyterian Historical Society
* West side of Juniper between Sansom and Walnut, and along the North side of Walnut West of Juniper.
* 39.949250,-75.163200 [map]
* On the Gayborhood tour.
* Exhibits: Religious, Gargoyles, Unidentified
* See also:
+philadelphiabuildings.org's page for the building
+wikipedia.org Albert Barnes page
Witherspoon Building Figures
Alexander Stirling Calder, 1898
* Statues of James Caldwell, Samuel Davies, Francis Makemie, John McMillan, Marcus Whitman and John Witherspoon
* standing people, hats, books and papers, wagon wheel
* These figures were originally on the Witherspoon Building. The first six pictures are of the individuals in the order listed on the plaques. The last two are detail shots. The pieces are visible up close when the gates are open and through the gates when they are closed.
* Front courtyard. Presbyterian Historical Society. North side of Lombard, East of 5th.
* 39.942900,-75.149950 [map]
* On the Lombard-South tour.
* Exhibits: Religious
* See also:
+wikipedia.org's Alexander Stirling Calder page
+wikipedia.org's James Caldwell page
+wikipedia.org's Samuel Davies page
+cyberhymnal.org's Samuel Davies page
+wikipedia.org's Francis Makemie page
+findagrave.com's Rev. John McMillan page
+wikipedia.org's Marcus Whitman page
+Presbyterian Historical Society at pcusa.org