Person: Saint Matthew
St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church
* Statues of Saint John, Saint Luke, Saint Mark and Saint Matthew
* small standing people, books and scrolls
* The four evangelists are displayed here top to bottom (left to right facing the church) in canonical (reverse alphabetical) order.
* Entrance pillars. St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. East side of 13th between Chestnut and Market.
* 39.951225,-75.161435 [map]
* On the Convention District tour
* Exhibits: Religious
* See also:
+philadelphiabuildings.org entry for the building
Union Baptist Church Gargoyles
* Symbols of Jesus, Saint John, Saint Mark and Saint Matthew
* small kneeling and partial angels, torches, winged bulls, winged lions, crosses, crowns, birds, musical instruments, books
* Walls. Union Baptist Church. South side of Fitzwater, West of 19th.
* 39.942775,-75.174475 [map]
* On the Fitler Square tour
* Exhibits: Religious, Gargoyles
1895 - 1897
* References to and representations of Albert Barnes, Charles Hodge, Jesus, Saint John, Saint Luke, Saint Mark, Saint Matthew and John Witherspoon
* small lion, birds, ox, plants, books, winged person, groups of people, standing people, reclining people, heads and eyes, fire, scales, headgear, anchor, cup, furniture, various religious symbols
* Some art was moved to the Presbyterian Historical Society: Witherspoon Building Figures
* West side of Juniper between Sansom and Walnut, and along the North side of Walnut West of Juniper.
* 39.949250,-75.163200 [map]
* On the Gayborhood tour
* Exhibits: Religious, Gargoyles, Unidentified
* See also:
+philadelphiabuildings.org's page for the building
+wikipedia.org Albert Barnes page
+wikipedia.org Charles Hodge page
+wikipedia.org's John Witherspoon page