Philadelphia Public Art @philart.net
Landmark: Independence Hall
Joseph Alexis Bailly,
* Statue of George Washington
* standing person,
* behind the Independence Hall security perimeter, but visible across Chestnut. The first two pictures are from a print taken before the perimeter was established.
* In front of Independence Hall.
South side of Chestnut between 5th and 6th.
* 39.949050,-75.150000 [map]
* On the Independence Mall tour
* See also:
+phillyhistory.org 1913 picture of this piece
+phillyhistory.org 1929 picture of this piece
+wikipedia.org's Joseph Alexis Bailly page
+wikipedia.org's George Washington page
Commodore John Barry, USN
1908 (from the base; the plaque says 1907)
* Statue of John Barry
* standing person
wearing a hat,
Father of the Navy of the United States. Born in Wexford, Ireland, 1745. Died in Philadelphia, 1803.
Presented to the City of Philadelphia by the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, 1907.
* South side of Independence Hall.
Between Chestnut and Walnut, 5th and 6th.
* 39.948350,-75.150100 [map]
* On the Washington Square tour
* Exhibits: War
* See also:
+picture of this piece from about.com
+1912 picture of this piece from phillyhistory.org
+wikipedia.org's Samuel Murray page
+ushistory.org's Commodore Barry page
+wikipedia.org's Independence Hall page