Mother Bethel Plaque 1901
* Bas-relief bust of Richard Allen
African Methodist Episcopal Church
Founded on this site 1787 by Richard Allen (a former slave)
This ground purchased by Richard Allen for a church is the oldest
parcel of real estate owned continuously by negroes in the United
States. This congregation is the world's oldest African Methodist
Episcopal Church congreation.
The first church (1787) was an abandoned blacksmith shop, hauled
to this place by the teams of Richard Allen who was elected a Bishop
"We all went out of the church (Old St. George's Methodist Church)
in a body" and "they were no more plagued with us in their church."
May our God continue to bless Mother Bethel and all her children
now scattered throughout the world bringing faith and hope to
millions of weary souls.
Ring the bells of freedom throughout the world
"Rise, shine, give God the glory for the year of jubilee."
October 1901 [could be 1961]
* Near the entrance.
Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church.
East side of 6th, North of Lombard.
* 39.943375,-75.151935 [map]
* On the Lombard-South tour
* Exhibits: Religious,
* See also:
+Mother Bethel AME Church