Person: Tywanza Sanders
Fern Cunningham-Terry, 2016
* statue of, with tribute to Richard Allen, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, Cynthia Hurd, Susie Jackson, Ethel Lance, DePayne Middleton-Doctor, Clementa C. Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Daniel Simmons and Myra Thompson
* small standing person, pulpit, Bible
Founder and First Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
Apostle of freedom proclaiming a liberating and reconciling Gospel.
In Tribute to the Emanuel Nine
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015, the pastor and eight faithful members were tragically slain in a mass shooting at
Emanuel African American Methodist Episcopal Church
Charleston, South Carolina
They had come together with great joy for a weekly Bible Study. But a stranger who had been warmly welcomed into the group snuffed out the lives of these beloved fathers, mothers, daughters, sons, colleagues and friends. May the untimely deaths of these three men and six women be an eternal reminder of the power of love and forgiveness, and that God's grace is sufficient, no matter what.
The Rev. Clementa C. Pinckney, 41
State Senator and Senior Pastor
The Rev. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45
Mrs. Cynthia Hurd, 54
Ms. Susie Jackson, 87
Ms. Ethel Lance, 70
The Rev. DePayne Middleton-Doctor, 49
Mr. Tywanza Sanders, 26
The Rev. Daniel Simmons, 74
Mrs. Myra Thompson, 59
For to me, to live in Christ and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21, NIV
* Southwest corner of the parking lot. Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. Northeast corner 6th and Lombard.
* 39.943115,-75.151985 [map]
* On the Lombard-South tour
* Exhibits: Religious, African American
* See also:
+emanuelamechurch.org's tribute page
+wikipedia.org's Fern Cunningham page
+wikipedia.org's Richard Allen page
+Mother Bethel AME Church