Person: Martin Luther King, Jr.
Alison Sky, 2003
* Quotes from Abigail Adams, Susan B. Anthony, Chief Joseph, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King, Jr., Yan Phou Lee, Sitting Bull and Harriet Tubman
* words and ideas
* South wall. Independence Visitor Center. Northeast corner, 6th and Market.
* 39.950850,-75.150110 [map]
* On the Independence Mall tour
* See also:
+artist's page for this piece
+wikipedia.org's Abigail Adams page
+wikipedia.org's Susan B. Anthony page
+wikipedia.org's Chief Joseph page
+wikipedia.org's Thomas Jefferson page
+The Chinese Must Stay by Yan Phou Lee
+wikipedia.org's Sitting Bull page
+wikipedia.org's Harriet Tubman page
+Independence Visitor Center
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial
Rebecca Rose, 2009
* Bust of Martin Luther King, Jr.
* small head
January 15, 1929 - April 4, 1968
Freedom Now Rally
On August 3, 1965, Martin Luther King addressed a crowd of 10,000 at this intersection. His "Freedom Now" tour to Philadelphia, Chicago, Cleveland, and Boston was in gratitude for support given to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. King brought his message into nothern Black neighborhoods, supporting local civil rights efforts and raising funds. His goal was to empower the formation of a coalition to address their common concerns.
* 40th, Haverford, and Lancaster.
* 39.962975,-75.202260 [map]
* Exhibits: Religious, African American
Object for Expression
Warren C. Holzman, 2012
* In honor of a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr.
for impromptu performances and oration -
in honor of the neighborhood's musical history
and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s
1965 speech at 13th and Fitzwater Streets
* East side of Hawthorne Park. Northwest of the Northwest corner, 12th and Catharine.
* 39.940650,-75.162700 [map]
* On the South Philly tour
* See also:
+Friends of Hawthorne Park