Artist: Scott Aker
June 5th Memorial
Scott Aker, Barb Fox, 2018
* Memorial to the six victims with quote from Dickinson: Anne Bryan, Roseline Conteh, Borbor Davis, Emily Dickinson, Kimberly Finnegan, Juanita Harmon and Mary Simpson
* ideas, architectural elements, steles, benches
For those we remember
Unable are the loved to die
for love is immortality
nay, it is deity -
unable they that love - to die
for love reforms vitality
On a beautiful late Spring morning in 2013 the reckless demolition of a neighborhood building collapsed a wall onto the Salvation Army store that stood on this site.
This memorial park is dedicated to the memory of the six people who died here on June 5, 2013. They were from all walks of life, and each was uniquely precious to their family, friends and community. The memorial park also remembers those who were injured, and honors the rescuers.
The June 5 Memorial Park is made possible by the generosity of private citizens and the City of Philadelphia. It challenges the residents and leaders of Philadelphia to remember what happened here and to always value human life above development.
* Southeast corner, 22nd and Market.
* 39.953675,-75.176600 [map]
* On the Rittenhouse Square tour
* See also:
+Anne Bryan article
+Roseline Conteh article
+Borbor Davis article
+wikipedia.org's Emily Dickinson page
+Juniata Harmon article
+Mary Simpson article