Philadelphia Public Art @philart.net

Cresheim Valley Pergola

Cresheim Valley Pergola
1909 (restored 2005)
* small turtle, fish, two coats of arms, mill with waterwheel, water, trees
* The reliefs pictured here can be seen on the floor of the pergola in the first picture in front of the benches
* inscription:
marble plaque (badly faded):
This valley was named Krisheim by the Germans of the Rhine who bought the land from William Penn in 1687 and called it after their native village
Germantown Road follows the old Indian trail
The battle of Germantown began a little South of this green October 4, 1777
metal plaque:
February 23, 2005
This pergola and water trough have been refurbished by
The Chestnut Hill Rotary Club to honor 100 years of service by Rotary Clubs
in this country and in the world.
This renewed monument marks an entrance to Fairmount Park as it did when it was originally dedicated in 1909.
This pergola, the bridge and the Cresheim Trail serve as a symbol of the partnership between the communites of Chestnut Hill and Mount Airy
* Pergola. Southwest corner Germantown and Cresheim Valley.
* 40.066450,-75.196500 [map]
* On the Germantown Avenue tour
* See also:
+article about the restoration