Philadelphia Public Art @philart.net

Spring Garden Street - West River Drive Bridges

Spring Garden Street - West River Drive Bridges
1965 (year of current bridge)
* small bridges and other buildings, trees, water
* inscription:
- The Collossus -
Wooden covered bridge - span 540 feet
Longest arch bridge in the world
Opened to traffic - April 28, 1813
Destroyed by fire - September 1, 1838
Replaced by wire bridge in 1842
- Wire Bridge -
Wire cable suspension bridge - span 357 feet
First cable suspension bridge for vehicles in America
Opened to traffic - January 2, 1842
Replaced by Spring Garden Bridge in 1875
- Spring Garden Bridge -
Double deck truss bridge - span 355 feet
Spring Garden Street - upper deck
Callowhill Street - lower deck
Opened to traffic - July 10, 1875
Replaced by the present structures
* Bridge wall. Center City end, Art Museum side of the Spring Garden Bridge.
* 39.964550,-75.182500 [map]
* On the Art Museum Grounds tour