Philadelphia Public Art @philart.net
Person: Frances Trollope
Philadelphia and the Schuylkill
* quotes from Charles Dickens,
John P. Shelden,
machines and tools,
basket and barrel,
* an outdoor history exhibit with artistic elements
"The Water Works...are no less Ornamental than Useful,
being Tastefully Laid Out as a Public Garden..."
"I Passed Along the Pavement by the
Pump-House... I went in.
I saw Immense Water-Wheels.."
-Mark Twain (1853) Missouri
"The Celebrated Works on the Schuylkill,
by which the Water of the River is Raised
...are Beyond Praise"
-John P. Shelden (1825) Michigan
"But interesting[?] and Curious as this
Machinery is, it is, In Truth, One of the
Prettiest Spots the Eye can look upon."
-Frances Trollope (1830) England
* Schuylkill Banks between the Waterworks and the Spring Garden Bridge.
* 39.965325,-75.183450 [map]
* On the Art Museum Grounds tour
* See also:
+wikipedia.org's Charles Dickens page
+wikipedia.org's Mark Twain page
+wikipedia.org's Frances Trollope page