Benjamin Franklin Francesco Lazzarini,
* Statue of Benjamin Franklin
* standing person,
* Behind dark and very reflective glass.
* The replica in the original location at 5th and Chestnut: Benjamin Franklin
Philadelphia merchant William Bingham
commissioned this marble statue to honor Franklin.
It was carved in Carrara, Italy and installed in 1792
in a niche above the entrance
to the Library Company's first building
on Fifth Street South of Chestnut Street.
As seen in William Birch's 1800 engraving, above.
Exposure to the elements at its original site
and in later years has produced the evident deterioration.
The dedication stone below the statue reads:
This statue of Dr. Benjamin Franklin was presented by
William Bingham, Esq. MDCCXCII
* Front window.
Library Company of Philadelphia.
South side of Locust between 13th and Juniper.
* 39.947975,-75.163065 [map]
* On the Gayborhood tour
* Exhibits: Moved
* See also:
+The Electric Franklin