The John Hanson Monument
Carl Lindborg, 1967
* bust and medalions honoring John A. B. Dahlgren, Captain John Ericsson, John Hanson, John Morton, John Nystrom, Johan Printz and Johan Risingh
* small book, ship, submarine, and related har, cannon, head, standing person
* Dahlgren is listed elsewhere as 1809-1870. This piece is inside the walls near the graveyard just outside the back door of the house closest to the church, and there doesn't seem to be much pattern to which gate in the walls is going to be open.
John Hanson, 1715-1783, First President of US Under Articles of Confederation, 1781-82
John Nystrom, 1829-1885, engineer, inventor, ship builder, author
John Ericsson, 1803-1889, inventor, engineer, scientist
John Dahlgren, 1809-1890, U.S. Admiral - inventions influenced world navies
Johan Risingh, 1617-1672, last governor of New Sweden, author, economist
Johan Printz, 1592-1663, Governor of New Sweden
John Morton, 1724-1777, Signer of Declaration of Independence
Erected October 7, 1967 by Swedish Colonial Society and the Vasa Order of America in Sweden
* In the yard behind Old Swedes. Columbus Blvd. & Christian St. (916 S. Swanson St.).
* 39.934500,-75.143800 [map]
* On the South Philly tour.
* See also:
+Swedish Colonial Society
+biography of John A. B. Dahlgren from civilwarartillery.com
+discussion of John Ericcson's engine designs from www.uh.edu
+pictures of John Eriscson from www.history.navy.mil
+biography of John Hanson from marshallhall.org
+wikipedia.org's John Nystrom page
+biography of Johan Printz from colonialswedes.org