Artist: Khoren der Harootian
Khoren der Harootian, 1955
* standing person
* inscription: He weighed the stars.
* North Terrace Ellen Phillips Samuel Memorial. Kelly Drive, past Boat House Row.
* 39.974610,-75.191475 [map]
* On the Kelly Drive tour
* See also:
+ushistory.org's Samuel Memorial tour page
Khoren der Harootian, 1976
* Statue of Meher
* standing, sitting, and lying people, cross, human bones, helmets, weapons, buildings, mountains, plants, horses, vulture, water, sun
On this day, April 24, 1976, commemorating the 61st anniversary of the martyrdom of the Armenian nation and celebrating the bicentennial year of American independence, we Americans of Armenian heritage in eternal gratitude to God dedicate this monument to our adopted land of the United States.
Meher - A legendary figure of inspiring power symbolizing the invincible faith of the Armenian people, the first nation to embrace Christianity (301 AD).
Keeping Watch over the cultural heritage of Armenia.
Day of Infamy, April 24, 1915 the genocide and martyrdom of the Armenian Nation.
St. Vartan at the battle of Avarayr (451 AD). History's first defense of the Christian faith.
Mid the ashes of the martyrs, mother and child look to freedom for Armenia and all nations.
* South side of Kelly Drive, West of 25th.
* 39.966500,-75.179800 [map]
* On the Art Museum Grounds tour
* Exhibits: Religious, War
* See also:
+page about this piece from umn.edu